Located at 400 Day Street in Winnipeg, Ukrainian Catholic Parish of St. Michael the Archangel was established in 1916. At the beginning of the 20th century, the Ukrainian pioneers in Transcona depended on the church to meet their religious, cultural, traditional and educational needs. Under the leadership of Bishop Nykyta Budka, in 1913 Fr. Joseph Bala organized a parish for the Ukrainians in Transcona dedicated to St. Nicholas. As a temporary solution, the community celebrated liturgies at the Assumption Church on Leola Street. In 1916 the Parish Committee purchased three lots of land on Wabash Street at Harold Avenue on which St. Nicholas Church was built. In 1917 this church was re-dedicated to St. Michael the Archangel in order to avoid confusion with St. Nicholas Ukrainian Catholic Church on McGregor Street in Winnipeg. The first Divine Liturgy celebrated in the newly dedicated church to St. Michael was Fr. Zalitach.
The first interior decoration of St. Michael’s church was done in 1929 by William Kostur. Most Rev. Bishop Basil Ladyka, OSBM officially visited the parish that same year for the first time. Regrettably, in 1941 the interior of the church was damaged by fire. Hence, the interior was completely redecorated in 1942 by Stephen Meush.
St. Michael’s Parish faced many difficulties in its early years due to shortage of priests and lack of transportation. Arrangements for priests had to be made so that they could provide sacramental and spiritual services for the faithful. Surrounded by fields, the little white St. Michael’s church was a beautiful sight in the north-east end of Transcona.